Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Moment

I had a "WooHoo" moment earlier today. I had a few mini "woohoo" moments while on vacation this past week, but I had a major one today.

We came home from vacation a day early so that we could "relax" before the chaos of this week begins. My son starts Kindergarten tomorrow (which is a disaster because he's starting a week late which means they had to unroll him and we have to re-enroll him tomorrow), and we still have some things to do in preparation for that. Anyway, we got home and found out our air conditioning was broken. Living in Florida this is NOT a great thing to have happen any time of the year, and in the summer it's enough to make even the most easy-going person scream. I was mildly annoyed, but remembered that we lived through it a month ago and we could live through it again. Which we did.

This morning my husband went into the attic (read, crawl space) to see what was going on. He had to go to the store to purchase a ShopVac because the water was going where it wasn't supposed to. We hefted it up the ladder to the "attic" and he sucked a good 4 gallons out, then handed the ShopVac down to me, then I had the job of lugging it to the sink to empty it. We did it one more time, and as he was working the ShopVac slipped through the ceiling opening and crashed to the floor. I felt it brush my hair on the way down, and as I watched it open and spill gallons of water onto the floor, the first thought in my head was, "Thank God!"

That was my "WooHoo" moment. Where before there would have been 4 letter words and accusations there was instead a feeling of calm and thankfulness. I actually took a moment to say "thank you" that I hadn't been a fraction of an inch closer to the ladder, because we surly would have been on the way to the hospital. I gave a heart-felt "thank you" for the safety of my daughter who was about 5 feet from the event, my son who was safe, and a "thank you" that my husband hadn't had his hand wrapped in the ShopVac hose and fallen as well.

Even while cleaning up the mess I was smiling because my floors are clean now, the a/c is working, and we'll be laughing about this in a few weeks.

The Universe is kind.

-- Jenn

No comments: