Saturday, August 2, 2008

Reading Time

I'm reading the book "Eat Pray Love" right now, and it's quite different than I thought it would be. I was expecting an explosion of spiritual awakening, but so far (I'm 100 pages in) it's a more gentle experience.

I found quite a few lines that interested me, but one has really hit home: "The Bhagavad Gita- that ancient Indian Yogic text- says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody Else's life with perfection." (pg 95).

This is true and obvious, but for some reason it really gave me pause. I have been thinking of my own life so far, and I have to question the validity of who I am versus who I'm trying to be. I think we all have a vision of our lives and what we're trying to accomplish, but are those lives without the influence of the people we meet? For instance: I have a friend who's financial standing is something that I would love to accomplish. I don't think I'll ever get to the point she is, in part due to my chosen line of work and the things that I value in my life that differ from hers. But, in striving to accomplish some sort of the same financial stability because by knowing her I know it can be done, am I trying to live "an imitation" of her life?

It's an interesting thought.

No comments: