Friday, August 22, 2008

Breathing Room

The past couple of nights, after I'd get settled comfortably into bed, I'd turn the TV off and just lie there, concentrating on my breathing and meditate. I'd concentrate on the part of my body that hurts and try to mentally fix what's wrong while pushing the pain down around my shoulder, through my arm and out my fingers. It might sound nuts, but it's working! And after yesterday when I actually saw on the MRI where the herniated disc actually was, it helped give me more of a visual so that when I went to bed last night I could concentrate better on what it looks like, what it should look like and where in my body it actually was. After that, I'd then concentrate on what's important in my life - everything that's good - and I'd fall asleep with happy thoughts running through my head.

That little pep talk I gave myself in the previous post before this also helped. I was focusing too much on the pain and the "this isn't fair" and the poor me. My "pain body" was taking over and I can't stand seeing that in others so seeing it in myself was even worse. So I decided I'm done with my pain body - it's gone! And today was a good day!

I just read the Daily Motivation for today and it was right on. It's all about acceptance and enjoying life no matter what. Once I accepted what I've got and that it might take some time to heal, I felt better. Acceptance is huge in any situation you find yourself in. I do know one thing: since this has happened I've been worried that I'd lose feeling in my arm and eventually wouldn't be able to completely hug my kids anymore. That scared me the most. Or I'd worry that it was even worse then it is and would eventually effect me walking and I'd no longer be able to play with my kids (something I wasn't doing enough of right before this happened). So I can guarantee you that my kids get TONS of hugs everyday and that once I get the OK to do physical activities, I will be outside playing and running around with my family!!! Sometimes the universe throws these little "wake up calls" at you just when you need them!

Friday, August 22, 2008

Breathing room

Look back on your life up to this point and you'll quickly see that many of your worries and concerns were completely unfounded. So why do you still insist on cranking out those worries at every turn of events?

How many times have you looked back on an occasion with the regret that you didn't simply enjoy yourself? There's nothing you can do about those past regrets, but there's plenty you can do about right now.


It's ridiculously easy to enjoy life, no matter what the situation. It's just a matter of letting go.
Let go of the worry and anxiety, of the anger and envy, of the need to be right and the need to control everyone else. Let go of the need to have everything your way.


Underneath all those layers of need and worry and negativity, there is pure joy. When you simply accept what is, and choose to enjoy the goodness in it, life can be wonderfully rich and beautiful.


Stop worrying and fighting so much, and start enjoying a little more. Give joy some breathing room and it will flourish in your life. -- Ralph Marston

-Kim

No comments: