Saturday, May 3, 2008

Happiness Project

Our Church is doing some exciting things right now, one of which is the "Happiness Project".

There are two big jars set up in the back of the Church, one for 'happy things' and one for things you're letting go of. We fill out little slips of paper for each appropriate thought, and drop it into the jar to symbolize our inner growth and notice of things that are good.

Then we have the "Happiness Commandments" to create. We have twelve that we're supposed to come up with, and then in mid-June we're going to all come together and share our creations. What a great way to spend Spring; thinking about all the good and the good way to live and conduct ourselves!

I thought this was a wonderful exercise because, as I sat down to think, it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be! How often do we really spend time thinking of happy ways to live our lives? I'm sure we all have the usual, "Be nice to others, treat people how you want to be treated," ideas, but to find twelve is quite a test.

I came up with seven yesterday. I had an event occur that really upset me, so I decided it was the perfect time to work on something like this. So, here are my seven:

1. Remember: They're having their own life experiences
2. What doesn't effect me shouldn't affect me
3. There's a positive lesson to every experience if we just take the time to find it.
4. Listen; don't just hear what people are telling you
5. You can only live your own life, not anyone else's
6. Act as you want to feel
7. Intuition is important. Remember to listen to yourself

That took me an hour.

I encourage you to try it yourselves! Try it and see how you do; I'd be interested to hear about it.

- Jenn

No comments: